Fall Coast to Coast in the US For a Nature Photographer Frustrated in a Pandemic World

 

2020 will be on record for undoubtedly one of the most challenging and unusual years for all of us, with many of us unable to travel.  But we are a resilient bunch, and so we are taking more time to explore and make new discoveries in our great outdoors.   

What better time than Fall to make new and beautiful discoveries, forge new bonds, and make irreplaceable memories.  Whether I'm exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway in the east or making my way through the rugged terrain of the west, Mother Nature always helps me through difficult times.

A shy nubbin buck peeks cautiously out from behind an apple tree where he spent the day enjoying fallen apples and a few up in the tree, as high as his small young legs could take him 

I'm always surprised and enamored with the beauty of the BRP, and this area in Bedford, Virginia ranks at the top of my list for favorites to hike and photograph, or just to relax and revel in the beauty of it all.  Here on Lake Abbott under the shadow and curious history of the Peaks of Otter, the Blue Ridge Mountains have beckoned tourists for decades to enjoy the scenery, then stop to enjoy the delicious meals they serve family style at the Peaks of Otter Lodge. 

Check here to get the latest information on the hours and any new changes or restrictions,   http://www.peaksofotter.com.


On this particular Fall day I was actually using my old Sony when I discovered this young deer contentedly munching on fallen apples around a very old and sprawling tree. I spent most of the daylight hours carefully and patiently watching him, as I inched slowly closer and closer, hoping for a beautiful Fall shot before it was too dark.  

When I took a break and paused to let him grow more comfortable with me and the camera, I scanned and zoomed in on the photos I'd already taken. I was elated to discover 2 tiny antlers just barely visible, beginning to protrude through his thick young coat.  I was even more determined to get a close and alluring shot of him, no matter how long it took.  Deer are somewhat used to people in this area, but being so young, he was calm but cautiously keeping a safe distance.  I stayed crouched and kept a close and careful eye on him, trying to win his confidence.  And he kept a close eye on me and my camera as well.  

Round and round the tree we went, ever so slowly.  Finally, when it was close to sunset, I was about to give up and give in to some mundane photos I'd taken of him just grazing on the apples on the ground with his head down.  But as I ever so slowly stood up so as not to interrupt his feast, he paused to peek out briefly from behind the apple tree.  Then to my delight he peered right into my lens and seemed to wait- just for a second, so I could get this shot. He finished chewing his last apple while he watched me move very slowly and cautiously, until I was able to position myself to capture not only a beautiful background with a large chunk of colorful leaves, but also the little overturned rowboat and a few fading ripples on Lake Otter before sunset to add to my shot.  

I was elated with not only the colors and textures I was able to include but his priceless expression, including the tell all position of his ears.  He's long since outgrown his naivete, and now grazes with the grownups, but I'll always be grateful I was able to capture and preserve that priceless innocence of his youth.  Perhaps my patience and tenacity had won his trust.  Or perhaps he was just merely too content or too full to move fast after an entire day of filling up on the apples.  No matter. To this day, it's one of my favorite photographs of deer and fall, and my fondest memories.  

Travel restrictions are ever changing, easing for some and tightened up for others, but for the most part travel has been seriously hindered by closings and restrictions relative to the pandemic.  So more and more of us are turning to the outside near us for our R&R and just a little escape from the harsh realities of 2020.  I've found that exploring the natural world around us is an excellent way to escape to new beauty, new interests, new activities and joy so for my first blog, I wanted to share some colorful bits of nature while you travel my blog from east to west.  And what better time than fall to share colorful photographs.

    A retired caboose from the "Chessie System" rests permanently among mounds of Fall colors. 

One day hopefully we'll look back and the glass half fullers at least will reflect on some good things the pandemic gave us. One of the things I'm thankful for is that I established a wildlife garden outside my favorite window to attract birds and butterflies.  In the early days particularly, when we were self-quarantining, I especially appreciated the happy chirping and colorful visions of the birds, butterflies, and a few dragon and damsel flies I discovered flitting around my yard, even on the dreariest of days.  It was a lot of learning and a little more sweat, but it's paid for itself over and over in endorphins, and I would encourage everyone to at least investigate this wonderful hobby. Especially in 2020.  

Typically, Summer has marked the end of our vacations, but now I'm realizing there's still a lot to see and do outside, especially in the south.  Instead of marking the end of outside activities, Fall actually proves to be a busy time for us to discover some old and some new wildlife.  Especially now when we're all looking for an uplifting diversion from our current circumstances.  

I miss my frequent travels, visits, and photography in our wonderful state parks, so with the temporary closings of so many things, I decided to head farther south, to an island near Charleston, South Carolina where I knew I could discover new things still thriving in the warm climate that I'd never even dreamed of before the pandemic. 

My travels opened my eyes, but also my mind and I was surprised to learn that there are several species of what's termed Orb Weavers in the south, which can range in size from a human fingernail to Orb Weavers as large as a human hand. 

For example, this curious girl's been around for millenniums, but I'd never seen one.  She's a Golden Orb Weaver and definitely a spider worthy of attention.  I learned they're even known for their strong webs whose shiny gold silk has been used to weave into beautiful garments.  Their webs range in color from pale beige to a deep golden that glistens in the sun I noticed, so don't forget to look up too when you're hiking in the sunny south. 

                                                                   © Binding Nuptials
To my knowledge this had never been observed nor documented before I displayed it a few years ago.

While I relaxed and patiently watched the spiders in the warm South Carolina sun, I noticed the male made several failed attempts to stroke her abdomen, which I would later learn was to calm this cranky female so he could mate.  Then I was shocked when he seized a moment when she was engrossed in a particularly large meal to cautiously bind her back legs in the strong silk he began tenaciously spinning.  I watched in awe when he began his precarious approach. Was it instinct, or was this tiny male spider particularly crafty that he knew to bind her back legs before he took the precarious journey to get to the right spot to mate with her?  
This female Golden Orb Weaver was the size of an adult's hand, and this tiny male was ever vigilant and aware that if he got too close, he could get the boot to the dark side of the web again, by legs whose one segment is larger than his entire body.  Or worse, become yet another meal for her, like other hopeful males littering the web, one by one had fallen fate. 

                        Then she will be alone,  eating only to nourish her eggs, night and day

I developed a new curiosity for spiders, and a new respect for this species. 
Whether I'm exploring in my own backyard to make the best of the current situation; or when things were open for travel and I was maneuvering the rugged terrain of indigenous cactus and cowboys, and mountain climbing in Arizona.........................
                                The Mountains and  Indigenous Flora in Arizona at Sunset

     ....or enjoying the solace of a rainbow in the surf waiting for migrating whales to meander by....

                                                                 Monterey, California
I've always found nature to be fascinating, ever changing, and never stagnant or boring so I'm hoping readers will enjoy what I've spent years studying, learning and documenting until opportunities and activities reopen for us.  This year especially as we celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you'll find more inspiration, more discoveries, more rewards, and most of all, more joy through your travels with my posts. 
          ©Photographs and narrative are all original and copyright protected by Penelope Penn

Suggested links for more information are: 
nps.gov/index.htm will give you information on visiting national parks
www.nwf.org will give you information on starting your own wildlife gardens
https://charlestonmag.com is an excellent resource for all things Charleston, SC
http://www.peaksofotter.com will give you the latest information on lodging and their restaurant there


                                                                 


Comments

Unknown said…
LOVE the deer photo- perfect fall pic to open the page
Penelope said…
Thank you! It took me hours and dozens of apples to get him to get comfortable enough with me and my camera so I could get some close ups of this guy. I was especially happy when I discovered his antlers, just beginning to show and ecstatic when he gave me the coy nubbin buck shot.

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets to the Success of Swan Lake and Iris Gardens Makes the News

Jasper Wreaks Havoc and Makes History

Prehistoric Spiders Discovered in the Seacoast Art Gallery in Myrtle Beach