Only a Few Decades Ago, You Wouldn't Have Seen This

Happy International Womens Day March, 8, 2024

Look closely! The expressions on these players and refs faces say it all, watching #15, the first female on this soccer team go for a head ball.








Her look of sheer determination reminds me of all the women - and men who never stopped pursuing their true passion or denied themselves their dreams. I'm so grateful for the choices and opportunities we have today  because those who came before us refused to be content with or to be bullied into accepting the status quo.






Just for fun, I wished a few friends, "happy Womens Day" and was surprised at the fountain of stories of trials, perseverance, and victories that flooded back to me. 


One story was from a University of Virginia alumnus who just learned that the school recently released a cap with the simple logo, "1974" across the front. She's in her early 40s but was shocked. What was so surprising she said, was that it was to celebrate the first coed class at this prestigious and progressive university.  

That was only 50 years ago this year. It's hard to believe now, especially by 20-something female PhDs and CEOs how many opportunities exist today that so many women never had the luxury to envision, much less experience during their careers. A brief history can be found at, http://www.internationalwomensday.com.

My first publisher and trusted friend sent me a note saying on point, "it's been a long time coming." Those words are far more significant than anyone would ever imagine though.  He was publishing a magazine about sports the first time I met him and they'd never had a woman writer; editor, or publisher for that matter.  That was unbeknownst to me when I crept petrified into his office, my imagination running wild with what his stern expression meant as I pitched my nontraditional, newfangled idea to him. 

It was one fateful day, and I still remember my terror, except now it makes me smile at the irony. I told him I wanted to write to inspire and motivate; not give the usual stats about wins, losses, yards run, sacks etc. which was a whole new concept for this publication and the men who ran it. Not to mention the entire town and the publishing world for miles around us.

I explained that I envisioned stories about the female soccer players and others I saw on fields by my house, running their hearts out to excel at what they loved with olympic and scholarship dreams spurring them on. I noticed boys practicing cheers on the edge of their playgrounds during PE, yet there were no stories about any of this in town or anywhere nearby. 

To this day, he's at the top of my list for most appreciated. If it hadn't been for his pioneering spirit, his courage to be ever ready to tip the scale of convention I never would have gotten my first big break. Lucky for me. I didn't realize it at the time but together we challenged the status quo and it in turn has given me the courage to do what I've done since, to be honest. 

I had no idea for years how fortunate I was to have gotten up my nerve and how progressive, innovative, and a champion for women that he was. We've ultimately become close friends and laugh about how petrified I was of this very successful man with a stern demeanor and reputation I wouldn't learn for years was merely hiding a heart of gold. 

It took every bit of courage in my soul to keep from running out of his office when he rocked back in his chair and peered over his glasses at me. His desk seemed enormous and I'm sure much larger than it actually was and I smile whenever I remember our avant trail blazing new paths.

It teaches the most powerful lesson for all of us though, that nothing and no one should stop any of us from voraciously and tenaciously pursuing our passions and our dreams, no matter how unorthodox or new. 

If I hadn't taken that first step-literally, I would never have met Dan, and found the satisfaction and happy hours I've had writing and then taking it up a notch to photographing wildlife-of all things.

National Womens Day isn't just about honoring women. It's about all of us sifting through the ashes of our pasts and see what passions we can reignite in our all too short lives.

 

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm definitely sharing this with all my grandkids! Boys AND my girls! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets to the Success of Swan Lake and Iris Gardens Makes the News

Jasper Wreaks Havoc and Makes History

Prehistoric Spiders Discovered in the Seacoast Art Gallery in Myrtle Beach